Monday, May 13, 2013

Some SoCks For The Fearless, Frazzled and Forlorn ...Perhaps?

"3:30 am, and I need to be sleeping.  Been exhausted for days, running  an empty streak, and just trying to keep from falling down in a pathetic mess, because if I fall down now, I might just decide never to get up again."

Sound familiar?

I've a few friends who have taken to mockingly using the term, "1st World problems", to describe things that maybe shouldn't seem as big a deal as they feel, and yet, because all who live in this kind of culture seem to be stumbling along with similar problems, we figure that's just the way life is.

I have to be honest and admit it: I've struggled with things that fall into this category.  Let's face it: if you're reading this, you, too, have been surrounded by these very kinds of issues, whether you consider yourself their victim or not.

But . . . what if something major hit your life, knocked you sideways - or flat - and suddenly nothing seemed anything like the way it seemed just a short time before?  What if all of a sudden, things just . . . changed?  Forever, irrevocable and mercilessly changed, and nothing will ever be the same?

What kind of thing would be required for that kind of impact on your life?  I, for one, 1) don't have a high tolerance for change, despite all the changes I've experienced in and throughout my life, and 2) have a low tolerance for anxiety, despite all the things I've had to fear in and throughout my life.  So, for me, I've already had plenty to educate me on this topic, so you might think my list of "1st World problems" might be a bit shorter than many.  And I suppose, depending on perspective and context, that might be true.

Rather than freak you out by pointing out possible things of this nature, I'll let the images that just came to your mind lead you along.

You know which ones.  Yes, those.

Your mind/heart pulled those to the forefront because they are the things you fear losing or having happen.  The only way to protect yourself from the kind of impact they might have, is to do what you can to find and create ways to help cushion such a blow, or the things you can't predict nor even imagine.  And there are ways . . . but that's not the point of this post.

So what is the point? you ask, and I simply look at you and wonder how you can ask, after reading this blog for so long?  If there is a point, either we both missed it, there might be one coming, or I'll have tricked us both, because I'm fairly sure I probably had one, whatever it was supposed to be.  But you're welcome to keep reading, to see if we end up realizing one.

Where was I?  *scrolls up*  Oh yeah.

Several of my more recent posts have been prompted by an imminent loss in my life.  I don't like to blatantly advertise such things, because I like to protect privacy.  But this upcoming loss has affected me deeply, and has surfaced and caused reflection about other losses I've experienced, which is probably why some of the latest posts have been a bit more somber in tone and flavor. 

Amazing, how life's most meaningful things change when one realizes, for instance, how fragile life is; how quickly fortunes can change; how the concept of "fairness" is really just a naïve attempt to keep score of preferences for our own way . . . yes, when we pull back a corner of the fabric of time and space that creates the pattern of our lives, and see what really is happening here, priorities can change drastically.

I've never really been one to take things generally for granted.  Nearly every gift, every kind smile, and every gentle, loving hug has been gratefully received with wonder and gratitude.  I've tried carefully to notice the flowers, the clouds, and the birds along the way.  I've attempted to find a way to have gratitude for the hurts, sorrows and misfortunes life has thrown at me, and gather a positive reinforcement of love and light to share with others despite their own predicaments as well as my own.  I've tried to let love and honesty be the foundation of my life's purpose.

Having said that, can I honestly say I'm good at it, after practicing for so long?  I like to say, I'm not a hypocrite; I'm simply proving that I understand that it can be easier said than done!  I have better days and moments than other ones, but still try to generally keep moving forward.

Along the way, I have found such inspiration through so many I've met!  I find such needed mental, emotional and even "spiritual" nourishment through those who also strive to do what they can, despite the challenges of their circumstances!  Often, those people never get to know that they had such an amazing impact on my life, which is a shame, because I would imagine their own lives might benefit from knowing that they left another life better for their having been in it!

I have no idea if I had an actual point.  I suppose you can take what you like from my ramblebabble.  It's just a blog, folks; take it or leave it.  In the meantime, it's late, even if I won't post this til I actually get to a computer . . . and quite frankly, I need sleep!

Enjoy wherever you're headed, and know that a little awareness and gratitude can go a long way!

Til next time,

~ me

No comments:

Post a Comment