Sunday, February 27, 2011

Hi World!

Okay, so no worries; no pressure at all.  It's just the first entry of your first blog.  A preview and introduction to the world that gives them a "first-sight" impression that likely will leave them with whatever opinion they will have about staying tuned.  Look at it this way: most likely nobody but a few friends will end up reading this thing anyway, if that, so it's not like you need to worry about what anybody will think, right?

What?  Why are you looking at me like that?  Doesn’t that make you feel better?  ^shrugs^


So if I were going to introduce myself to the world (in the wild delusion the world would be interested in meeting me; thank you very much), what would I say first?  I would think it would be a bit rude to at least not say "Hi."  So...

Hi world!

I would hate to be rude, you know.  That wouldn't be much of an intro to me at all!  I might be crazy (*rolls eyes*) but I try to be polite whenever possible.  You never know what one interaction might start, nor where it might lead, so always good to try to show respect to any and all. 

Okay so that was a bit of a tangent.  What a perfect way to introduce the concept of the SoCk Moment!  What is a SoCk Moment, you might ask (in fact, you might have asked before you even got this far… sorry to make you wait so long if that is the case)?  They are funny little things, actually.  The term started from a joke a friend of mine would tell when he’d be teasing about his ADHD. 

He’d say something like, “I’d be going along and – ‘Oh look!  A sock!’”
I would then say, “Where?”
He would say, “Oh look!  A chicken!”
I’d reply, “Where?!”
He’d go on, “Oh look!  A chicken in socks!”
At this point I’d virtually cry out (as this was in text), “Where?!”
He’d then say, “Oh, sorry, I guess you missed it.”
I’d play the joke by feigning disappointment, “Awww.”
To which he would then pretend to console me with, “It’s okay; maybe next time.”

Later, I was with another friend discussing the concept of Streams of Consciousness, a subject I thoroughly enjoy playing with (as you will likely discover if you read later posts, since it relates to the title of the blog, and all forbid I should actually post things related to the concept of its title), and I realized with a laugh that an appropriate abbreviation for the term would be SoC… which is just one letter short of SoCk! 

Clearly you now see that I might indeed be crazy and at least one or two of my friends might be as well.  Of course in my book sanity might be overrated (and likely boring), anyway.  If you’ve found any source of amusement in this post at all, you also might be a touch loose in the gears, so to speak, but you now know you’re in good company.  Thus, having introduced the blog, and comforted you (or at least having made an attempt) after your loss of the few minutes it took to read it, I think I will post this and call it done.  We’ll see if I end up being one of those people who opens a blog with one post and never returns for whatever reason.

~  Me

(P.S. ~ Thank you to my dear friend who granted me permission to use his joke as the foundational principle of this blog.  To honor the agreement, I post the following: “Shaun is a nice person and can eat a whole pizza to himself which is jes awesome.”)

8 comments:

  1. First entries are long forgotten behind all the ones that will come. Just remember, blogs can be personal little places to stick all your thoughts and feelings. There is no judgment in it and no comment from some random stranger should prevent you from keeping at it.

    You are a very talented writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Oshee. It wasn't until someone challenged me to actually put some of this stuff out there that I realized my neck might be attached. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your neck is well protected.

    The first post was in fine form and do I look forward to more? The answer is yes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well, on behalf of the world...hello to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you North and Wind Up Doll (and the world you represent).

    With supportive friends like all of you, I think my back is covered, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SOCK!!!! :oD I would like to meet this Shaun guy, I think we might jes get along...as for the blog I thi....oh look I found a sock :oP

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with oshee wan when she says : First entries are long forgotten behind all the ones that will come. Just remember, blogs can be personal little places to stick all your thoughts and feelings. There is no judgment in it and no comment from some random stranger should prevent you from keeping at it.
    DEFINITELY KEEP AT IT!!!
    * HUGZ!*

    ReplyDelete
  8. A "kid" after my own heart. Thank you dear. :)

    ReplyDelete