Monday, May 23, 2011

The Ramble of the Butterflies

Lately I've developed a certain fondness for butterflies.  While one could argue that's perfect for me, as I'm so “flighty” and such, I would have to not only agree, but also expand on that (and likely use many, many words to do so.  In fact, I think I might use pictures this time, too!).  Because the more I think of butterflies as a metaphorical symbol, the deeper and more amazing they seem.






You see, I have a memory that makes me smile with irony when I think of it, related to these tiny, whispy little creatures.  I smile because it is one of the most beautiful images I remember from my younger years, but the irony is, it comes from one of the movies of my youth that left me with the most psychological damage.

[I was supposed to insert an image of the scene from "Poltergeist 2", where “Taylor” (the mysterious Native American guide) is standing in the garden, surrounded by butterflies, but unfortunately after a full assault on my psyche, I couldn’t find an image of it online!  Oh well, read on…]

This scene has stayed with me all these years, popping up in my mind's eye occasionally to make me smile again, but this, too leaves me thinking about deeper meanings and metaphorical significances.  But I'm trying really, really hard to keep the Socks at bay while I try to explain my point, so stay with me for a moment.

A friend asked me, why butterflies?  What is it about them that has such meaning and significance?  I had to think about that for a moment.  There are several things, really, but the first to mind was their fragility.  You can't grasp a butterfly without killing it.  If you grab it by the wings, you'll crush them, strip them of the coating that allows them to fly, and thereby leave them unable to get to food and they will eventually starve to death.  You cannot force a butterfly without harming it.




The only way to truly experience the joy of butterflies is to be a safe place for them to land; a place they sense safety, then wait and hope they take the opportunity to land on you.  Providing something they need helps, too, but isn't always necessary.  I've had the opportunity of having them land on me, and I learned you must be very still and calm while they are there or you'll frighten them away.  (You might doubt the possibility of those two things occuring together: my being still long enough to allow the experience.  But it has happened and I was conscious.  I guess stranger things have happened, right?)

Wrong "Butterfly"... but it was a pretty pic!

While butterflies perch there on you, sometimes they are so light you almost can't even feel their touch.  They can sometimes grasp more tightly as they cling to you, but even then their strongest hold feels as light as the softest breeze.  Everything about them is delicate and light, and I've never felt anything like it.  They are the living embodiment of light and joy, I think.  I've found my heart feels lighter in their presence, when I pause to think about it, and I feel their presence is a gift.  One of those "little things in life" that should be enjoyed and experienced fully.





So, to wrap this Biology lesson back around into metaphorical context, I'll say this: people are a lot like butterflies.  Go ahead.  Scroll back up and insert "people" into the description.  Yes, for those of you I know are thinking it, people often do grasp onto other people much harder than a butterfly ever could.  But then, if we are all "butterflies", then those who grab us too hard need to learn better handling techniques, which still keeps my point intact. 

And that was a point my friend brought up.  The people who understand how fragile the human heart truly is, are usually the ones who get hurt the most.  But that is why we must all learn the concept.  Because those who have been mishandled, disappointed, damaged, and hurt, often stop landing anywhere out of fear of being hurt again.  But that isn't the answer, either, because we can only flutter around for so long before we collapse from exhaustion, and that only sets us up for more hurt, and possibly that of others, too.

So what is the answer, you might ask?  I have only one answer to give you, but I give it in sincerity: I don't know for sure.  It would be lovely if the world could all heal, learn how to treat each other, and then do it.  It would be wonderful if we could love and respect ourselves and each other, teach each other how we need to be treated, then all of us do it.  I suddenly have a song in my head, one of my favorites, "Imagine" by John Lennon...

“…Imagine no possessions; I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger; a brotherhood of man
Imagine all the people
Sharing for the world

You may say I'm a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one”

Is it possible?  Again, I've no idea.  I do know, however, how much difference one person can have on other lives they touch, and since the only person we can really control is ourself, I suppose the place to start would be within us.  But that's another tangent for another day, perhaps.


~ Me

(All images, to the best of my knowledge, are in the Public Domain)

No comments:

Post a Comment