Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Clean SoCk for the "Disinclined"

Because my life is as random as my thought processes, you get a pragmatic entry today! ;)

Read at your own risk.



A friend of mine and I were talking the other day about tips and hints I have found that help the day run a little smoother, in light of there being so many, little annoyances to interrupt the flow of life.  Like housework, for instance.  Since I tend to be a bit motivationally- and organizationally-disinclined, I figured out long ago that if I could only make such tasks seem less overwhelming, such as with a little touch of efficiency and what some might call not-so-common sense, I could stay on top of some of the regular stuff and still not have to take a whole day out of my week to tear the house (and my life) apart.

To make the former paragraph not seem so overwhelming, I've started another one.  This would be an example of inefficiency in action, mostly in the explaining myself.  It's also good to show how things get complicated by tangents easily.  But to keep this paragraph not totally ineffective, I'll add that this blog entry is dedicated to those who would like to simplify their lives a bit.

So, how do I do that?

First, I started by listing the things I need to get done.  Yes, actually write (or type) a list of all the things you must get done . . . in a day, a week, a month, and "regularly", with another category for "irregularly" just to allow those items that would fit there not feel left out.  Include everything you can possibly think of under these categories, and keep taking deep, slow breaths, trying to stay calm and not hyperventilate.

The Card System

I had a mentor of sorts years ago suggest getting a recipe box, writing the items on recipe cards labeled by category.  She then had me label the category tabs.  I had one for every day of the month, then one for each month.

Every card of each job that had to be done was then filed according to when it needed done.  Daily tasks were put under Today's date, for instance, to be taken out when done and put under Tomorrow's tab.  Jobs that only needed done once a week were filed under a day I could fit them in, as were ones that only needed done monthly or less regularly.

For instance, assuming I need to do the dishes every day, I would put the Dishes card under Today's date, then when I got them done, I would put that card into Tomorrow's.  If I vacuum once a week, I would see when I could fit that into my schedule for the week, say I have 15 minutes free Wednesday afternoon, so I would put that in Wednesday's tab so when I got there I'd know it needed done.  If my mattress needs turned/rotated once a month, I would find a convenient day to "schedule" it and slip the card into that day of the month.  My air conditioner servicing might go into March to wait for me to get there, then when I organize for March I can find the best time to work it in.

In this system, if you don't accomplish something one day, you can slip it's card into the next day and just pick up where you left off.  Don't put things off too long, though, or they will quickly add up!  But this allows some flexibility while giving a very visual/tactile means of organizing time.

The Alarm System

Electronic devices are quickly becoming a love-hate/co-dependent/life-support relationship.  By using the calendar/organizer on your phone, computer or other gizmo, you can allow it to remind you that your towels need laundered, in case it wasn't already obvious.  Granted, you likely won't find it joyously helpful to have an alarm going off with every task you must do, but surely you can use it to help give you a reminder of lists for the day.

I love that my comp calendar pops up with reminders in which I can list things I need to remember to do online, for instance.  My phone is usually willing (if not happy) to provide me with my reminders that I have an appointment the next day, then I can reset the alarm to let me know when I have an hour (or whatever time I need) to get my little body there.  I also let the alarm feature remind me when medications or other regularly-needed things need done, as I keep it with me at all times.

Break It On Down... So It Doesn't Break You Down

So, you find some way you prefer to organize your time, but what about the tasks themselves?  I'm so glad you asked!  My favorite part!  Thanks for reading this far so we could get to this part!

I break tasks down into what might at first seem like rediculously, annoyingly small pieces.  I then space the pieces out, much as I do in the bigger systems above (I no longer use the card system, simply because I used it to help me learn the basic method and I have found better ways for me, as I am more electronically-inclined.  I would go back to the cards though, and do recommend it if it could work for you).

For example, the bathroom.  I've never heard anyone say they love having to take an hour every Saturday morning to scrub the whole bathroom down.  Not saying those people aren't out there . . . somewhere . . . maybe . . . but I've never heard them say it.  So why do we think everything must be done at once?

I have a bowl cleaner that smells okay, and takes time to do it's job.  So, I clean the outside, then with the fan going, I start the bowl disinfecting, then take a shower while I wait.  Granted I take slightly longer than 10 minutes to shower, but that's okay.  I then scrub the bowl and I'm done.  Ta da!  That's done.

While I shower, by the way, I have had installed a hand sprayer/hose nozzle in my shower, and when I'm done showering I spray the walls, curtain and floor to rinse any soap or whatever away.  I use a mild shower spray "leave it" cleaner afterward to help keep hard water spots away, and I'm pretty much done.  It takes maybe 5 minutes with the switching to the hand nozzle and back, and once in a while I'll take a washcloth and wipe the surfaces down to remove any residual residues.  I've had my shower a year and a half, and have never had to scrub buildup at all.  Those two things could be done in the time it has taken you to read this.

Then, one day while I'm getting ready for the day I might grab cleaner and quickly wipe the sink down.  It takes just a moment and then that's done, too.  Another day, the mirror.  I keep glass and disinfectant cleaners, old worn out socks  (as rags) and paper towels in the bathroom for such moments.  A few squares of bathroom tissue (*notes her PC use of terminology*) and a quick spray with a bit of water from a spray bottle quickly gets dust and stuff from the floor, which can be followed by a quick spray of disinfectant and a wipe of one of those sock-rags (yes, I suppose socks are a bigger part of my life than I thought).

Once a week or as-needed, I take and wash the mat (which I got specifically for it's washability) and towels.  That's a great day to do the floor, by the way, as the mat is gone and when it comes back you've got a clean floor to put it on.

There!  It's all done!  And I got another excuse for an underline!

And it took only moments at a time, but didn't have to be overwhelming and annoying.  It was tricky to keep track at first, but in time it has become habit to keep an eye out for what needs done.  This technique can be used for nearly any such task list.  You just have to break it down small enough that you trick yourself into thinking it's not that big a deal.  And you have to be willing to try.  Because I know somebody's making fun of me at this point. :P

Anyway, so that's the starting point of how I have attempted to begin setting up my life by breaking it down.  I don't have unlimited amounts of energy and ability, so breaking things down also allows me to diversify the way I spend my time and energy, so that I'm not grumbling about hating my housework because I'm in pain after scrubbing all day.  I also try to work "smarter", sitting down when possible while doing extended tasks so I'm using my energy to do the task and not support my body weight.  Which isn't a lot of weight, of course *ahem*, but better to spend the energy getting things done, right?  I walk for exercise, after all. ;)

Questions?  Constructive comments?  Inspired ideas?  Feel free to share!  I'm always up for ideas on how to help life run better.  Thanks for actually reading this far. . . I hope it was an effective use of your time! ;)

~ Me


2 comments:

  1. I found for me that while cleaning if I am putting stuff away on other rooms I get distracted by the mess in that room. So instead of traipsing through all the rooms in the house, If it doesn't go in the room I'm cleaning or a room I have already cleaned I put it in a pile in the next room. Then I move on and repeat the process. It doesn't especially sound efficiant but I get more done that way then the "normal" way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good idea to me! I've a friend whose daughter tends to wind up with all kinds of her brothers' stuff in her room somehow. My friend put a basket by the door of her daughter's room, to throw their stuff into when she cleans her room, and that seemed to work to keep things a little less overwhelming. Of course, how that giant pile of "stuff" ended up in the middle of her brothers' room... well of course I couldn't say. ;)

    ReplyDelete