Sunday, July 31, 2011

TED Hose For The Soul


I'm amazed at how many people (I, included at times) can't/won't let themselves even consider certain concepts that I think are very healthy for the improved circulation of the "soul".  There are many such concepts, but I've been musing over a few of the most basic, and how they've impacted my own life, as well as the lives of those around me.  So, from experience, I have learned sometimes all it takes is a bit of permission.  So. . . here you go.



~ * I give you permission to laugh. * ~  

Not just some glint in your eye; some faint smile that barely breaks the surface of your face, leaving hardly a trace when it's done.  I give you permission to let joyous mirth really burst out of your body like some kind of bomb of happiness, leaving you breathless and gasping, aching and sweating, chuckling for ages while your heart rate slows again and you wipe the tears from your eyes, smiling.

~ * I give you permission to cry. * ~
Not just a knot in your throat; not just a tear or two you can't quite contain.  I give you permission to let that dam break you've been terrified of letting go; the one you fear will open and the flood of tears will never end.  I allow you to weep with every fiber of your tattered soul, pouring out of you all that agonizing misery that you've kept locked up tight, leaving your eyes swollen and your throat raw and your head pounding. . . and your soul finally at peace.  Don't worry; the "weeping hangover" simply physically requires fluids, sleep and a bit of going-easy for a day or two. You could probably use an excuse for a day or two’s rest, anyway.

~ * I give you permission to be angry. * ~
Not just sullen, ornery nor melancholic.  I give you permission to allow yourself to safely express your anger in two ways: a physical, literal way; find some form of physical exertion that causes no harm to yourself nor others/property, and let it all out; and find an appropriate way to say what you feel, and say it all. . . even those deepest, darkest secret furies that eat at your soul like acid.  Let them out and let them go; they're not your enemy, and need not be your hostages.  Nobody wants to negotiate for your angers.  Let them go!

~ * I give you permission to miss. * ~    
Not just a quick, casual thought. I give you permission to experience the deep, tear-filled grief that makes you hold a pillow to your chest in the night, wishing with all your heart it could fill that gaping chasm in your being.  Longings for who and what was, what could have been, what you wish had been. . . missing is part of loving, and loving is one of the most beautiful aspects of being truly alive.  Rejoice in the thought you loved enough to have something in your life worth missing that much. 

~ * I give you permission to hold on. * ~    
Not just a gentle, light-fingered grasp.  I give you permission to grab a firm, white-knuckled and you'll-have-to-pry-it-from-my-cold-dead-fingers kind of hold.  If it's worth that much to you, worth living and dying for, it's worth that mighty grip so don't let go!  Just make sure you have a proper perspective and priorities, first.  But of course I've no right to dictate to you, your priorities.  I also suggest being careful how that holding on affects those around you. . . no strangle-holds on others.  They, too need to breathe.

~ * I give you permission to let it go. * ~
Not just in words, nor even in silence.  I give you permission to do what you need to do to let it slip away from you, if you're ready.  Again, priorities and perspective; but if it's time, it's time.

~ * I give you permission to heal. * ~
There is no contract we sign when something happens that forces us to remain in an unhealthy "place" for our entire lives.  When the situation is over, heal as quickly as possible and get on with your life.  Learn, grow, become more for the experience but don't just wallow in the past.  Move forward and be okay with being okay.  Then, help others do the same if you can.

Because it is - or can be - okay.  Why it's so hard for so many of us to feel we're allowed to be healthy human beings is beyond me.  But I give you permission to remove the splinters in your wounds and heal so you can become so much more than a collection of miseries.

You are allowed to be happy.  You can blame me for it if you like.  I can take it I think. ;)

~ Me

4 comments: