Sunday, October 30, 2011

"Because We Love ... Random Stuff"

I have a penchant for photography.

                          Okay, not really. It's more of a passion.
                                                  Make that "compulsion".


        And if a person takes enough pictures, 

              the odds are, they're gonna get some decent ones.




. . . On the other hand, the odds are also that they're gonna get some really bad ones, too. This post celebrates all the sock moments, "creepers" and other "oopses" I experienced this last trip to Ontario, Canada.



Nothing like driving along a country road, catching the best of the best offerings of the local landscape.

~ * ~

This one at least had a bit of color!

~ * ~

How could I make it an entire trip and not catch several of these?  I won't post them all.  You're welcome.


~ * ~


These, too.


~ * ~


My friend and I were wild kitty sitting for her mother while her parents were away.  This is why I usually keep to pics of things like jumping poles, trees and signs.


~ * ~


Okay so I know it's not what you'd typically call a "fine image"... but hey, I think it's kinda cool!


~ * ~


We went up for Canadian Thanksgiving in the Muskokas area.  And I caught  great shots of the . . . um, characteristic  rock of the area.

~ * ~


And more signs.  I'm an equal-opp sign shooter.  That's in KM/H,  btw, of course.  And yes, we were keeping the speed limit, regardless of how it looks.


~ * ~

I was able to catch some fabulous shots reflecting the power of the sun . . . on a dashboard.


~ * ~


Which of these trees is not like the others?


~ * ~


I'm efficiently demonstrating a few of my best photographic techniques here: poles, landscapes, sky AND that  my phone's camera sometimes focuses on the wrong depth-of-field.  It's a gift, what can I say?


~ * ~


A river runs through it.  But so does my finger, and I do promise, the river was flowing  as water usually does... straighter than I've portrayed.  But still... what an incredible place to sit and "just be".


~ * ~


We decided to drive around and capture some of the beautiful colors in the area.  Well, I did get some of the color, anyway!


~ * ~


What a phenomenal tribute to the concept of "Let's run away for the Holiday, and join the thousands of people running away from the thousands of people, "roughing it" in the great outdoors.


~ * ~


And a fabulous shot of . . . well the dead weeds on the side of the river.  At least I got a few, colored leaves!


~ * ~


Wanting to capture the image of the sign near where we were staying, this is what I got.  I wonder if the aliens put whomever was there, back when they were done?


~ * ~

My characteristic tribute to the fact it started to rain as we were leaving the Muskokas after nearly a week of unusually-high temps and beautiful weather.


~ * ~


Nothing like capturing the beauty of the rain, misting in the distance.  And more poles and lines.  It about leaves you speechless, doesn't it?  (For one reason or another.)


~ * ~


After we got back, we decided to check out the supposedly breathtaking color along this route toward Niagara.  If my memory serves correctly, this image looks over the river toward Buffalo, NY.  Sometimes I'm amazed at how those little trees manage to plant themselves so nearly-perfectly centered in my shots.


~ * ~


Another efficient use of multi-tasking in the demonstration of how NOT to compose an image.  


~ * ~


This just makes me dizzy, looking at it.


~ * ~


And the ending of another lovely day, imperfectly captured.  It wasn't as late as it looks.  Actually it was about 4 in the afternoon.  That is the power of white balance, folks! 


Thus concludes our tour of the incredible (rather unbelievable, actually) photographic skills of this blogger.  But I figure . . . everybody is always so focused on their best shots . . . they only want to show the world their best sides.  Why not celebrate imperfection sometimes?  It can be fun!  


Maybe if I get around to it, I can post a few of my more "aesthetically pleasing" pictures.  To be fair (to myself, since a friend or two might thump me for this post if I don't mention it), both the phone and the other camera with which I took these images were new (to me) when I came on this trip, so much of this was my learning experience with using them.  Hopefully my skills will improve with time . . . so I can get even more terrible shots, but with more skill?


Thank you for humo(u)ring me.  We now return you to your regular internet experience.  Enjoy!


~ Me

2 comments:

  1. Some of your bad pics are better than my good ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well truth be told, I believe my friend said she counted about 1400 pictures I'd taken when we compiled them so I could take them home. That's given that the trip we'd taken to the Muskokas, that had been intended to be devoted mainly to photography (well and visiting loved ones *ahem*) had ended up with us unable to really go around taking many pictures out and about, because of the car trouble we'd had! I would hope that in that many, at least a few turned out worth keeping for more than humor's value. We'll see what you think if I ever get around to posting any of the rest LOL!

    ReplyDelete