Tuesday, May 15, 2012

From Top to Toe . . . and Beyond . . .


I hear a lot of people say, "I hate endings!"

I'm not typically one of them.



Not that I enjoy all forms of ending, but to me, endings are simply a mark of a point of change, rather than some great, catastrophic point at which a thing ceases to exist, which is how I perceive the perceptions of those who adamantly declare their hatred of the poor endings.  Not like the endings choose to exist, after all!  They're just doing their job!

Yes, by the way, I have been guilty, in my lifetime, of personification, even anthropomorphism, a word I really only used because, while it fits, it's also a really big word that is fun to try to pronounce out loud, and will get some of you to use a dictionary-type thingy, whether an actual paper dictionary (do they still make those?), or some program like my favorite freeware, WordWeb (no, they're not paying me for that plug, but they should! I share it whenever possible!), or an online site of some sort that has some kind of educationalistic feel to it, causing your mind to be educationalized a bit, which is one thing that I love to do, namely, making people think about new things, or new ways of thinking, as well as writing really long sentences with big words I can then use as tangents that express my SoCk tendencies, because after all, that is why I started this blog to begin with, right?

Where were we?  Oh yes; endings.  I've just demonstrated why they aren't always a bad thing, haven't I? ;)

Moving on . . .

Now see, I don't have this huge fear or great dislike of endings in general.  My greater disinclination is regarding something related to them, however.  My pet repugnance (okay now I'm just having fun with the thesaurus - amazing if you actually get the message I intend sometimes!) is actually inevitabilities.  And yes, that was the word I meant, and the word that got me thinking about this post to begin with.

Inevitability: the quality of being unavoidable.  That is what bugs me.  Now, I'm not talking about "fate".  I'm talking about those things you know will be, but you have no choice but to sit around & wait for them!  Good or bad, or even neutral, having to wait for something that will no-doubt-about-it happen, is annoying to me.

Whether it's my *cough-milestone* birthday this year, about which I'm not particularly fussed but that does mark a fair bit of time passing, in addition to the change between the "I can't wait to bes" & the "Oh no I'm nots";  a long-term, terminal illness of myself or someone I love; the Zombie Apocolypse (wait - how did that get in there?!); or simply the running out of the current tube of toothpaste . . .  you can see it coming, there's not much that can be done about it, and when it happens, there will be changes.  If it's inevitable, I would much rather just get it over with!

Not that I'm in a rush to get through and over with my life, but I just hate having to wait, especially for those things one never knows exactly when it will happen.  Like the official end of that toothpaste tube . . .  Give it up, friend, you can steamroll that thing and it still won't give up any more paste!  No, it won't!  I know, it has given long and faithful service.  Open another tube!

I had a whole line of  thinking to share about this, but then got a phone call; weeks later, I still haven't made an end to this post.  So I guess I'll just end it here.  After all, you knew the end was coming, right?  You might have even wished for it by now. ;)

~ Me

No comments:

Post a Comment