Sunday, August 5, 2012

To My Young Friends . . . A SoCk Your Own Size


Thinking about some friends today who may not realize they are ever thought about at all . . . not just by me, but in general. Sometimes in the hustle of life, it's good to take a moment to pause and remind people around us that we care. So, today, I want to focus on you, my young friends.


Unfortunately, I cannot find a good way to express my thoughts without making you think of me as some crazy, old person. But if you don't already think of me that way, I would wonder why on earth not, since most under 20 think anyone over 30 is, so I wouldn't be surprised nor offended! After all . . . maybe I am. ;-)

So, if I were to sit you down and have a little chat with you, what would I say? I also wonder what you might imagine I would say, though I am fairly sure those two things would be quite different. You see, I've no reason to believe you are anything short of what some would call a miracle, and therefore have no reason to chew you out, belittle you, nor guilt-trip you into doing whatever it is I think you "should" be doing. Besides, I'm not responsible for you, so it doesn't matter what I might think you "should" do, if I believed in "shoulds" at all. ;-)

You see, some of you know I've already adopted you, kind of like an aunt. The crazy aunt, perhaps, but the cool one who always was your favorite, I would hope. After all, I'm the one who remembers that I was once your age, and I remember that at that age, I was a person, too. So, because I have the dual-vision of memory and experience, I can be your cheerleader when other "old people" have forgotten.

Okay okay, so Old Lady Crazy Aunt, what would you possibly say that could be of value to me, you say? And I smile, because I'm okay with the title, if it means you're paying attention. And I say:

1 ) You're not everything They think you are, but you know that. You're also not everything YOU think you are, either. If They don't know, and You don't know . . . who and what on earth ARE you?! One day you'll see, I hope, that that is one of the most amazing mysteries of Life, and the exploration and discovery thereof, one of the most beautiful and rewarding of experiences. We're all trying to figure it out for ourselves, actually. That's why so many people do so many things they end up regretting so often. When they figure it out, regrets will no longer be an issue. And no, if you have no regrets yet, that doesn't mean you know yet. :-P Yeah, I know, confusing. I didn't say I was gonna give you all the answers here!

2 ) It's okay to be angry. So many voices say it's not, but I don't agree. You see, I don't believe that it's anger that causes all the problems. Anger is a natural reaction to things like grief, pain or the unfair in life. It is something all healthy human beings experience in some form at some point in their lives. Even the most mastered and/or benign of souls experience some form of it in their lifetimes. After all, Life isn't exactly kind all the time! In fact, it's often mean, unfair, hurtful and rude! It is not the emotion of anger, but the reaction to it, that causes all the issues. Learning to allow it to exist without harming you, your life, nor those around you is one of the great accomplishments in life.

3 ) Be who and what you are, even if who and what you are is unpopular. If you ever find out #1, you'll be far ahead of a good deal of the population. If you do, you will realize a sense of peace you never knew could exist, and you can begin to build from there. There will always be those who don't like you or what you are, but that may just be because they haven't figured it out for themselves yet. And that's okay, because we are all on our own paths and our own places on those paths. It's sad for them, if they choose to use #2 against others, but that is their choice and you needn't allow that to change the choices you make for yourself.

3 ) When in doubt, give the benefit of the doubt. I believe love sent out into the Universe is never wasted, even if it is never received nor returned. Those who cannot love, usually are in some form of pain and protecting their wounds. Forgive them, as soon as possible; if possible, choose to not take their anger personally, because most often, it's not about you, anyway. They may not even realize it themselves, but you cannot force anyone to understand nor accept anything if they are not ready.

4 ) You are amazing. By the time you were old enough to read this, you had been fed countless negative messages that may or may not have affected you more than those you were given that were more positive. By the time you read this, you probably have discovered it is often easier to believe the negative, no matter how hard you might try to fight against it. But I'm telling you now, I LOVE YOU! I see the good and the beautiful and the amazing in you, and I believe in you! I want you to be happy, and to find joy, which are not the same thing. I want you to realize the true meaning of your life, and to be transformed by it. I want to help you in any way I can, to do that. And . . . I want you to believe me, even though sometimes that part can be harder than all the rest combined.

5 )  Learn to count better than I apparently did.  I only realized what I'd done after I'd prepped this ready to post, and thought it was fitting for my scatterbrained mind to just leave it and instead, make a comment about it.  After all, part of the fun of life is laughing at one's own, funny quirks!

There are, of course, other things I could say to you. But if you managed to read this far, I'll reward you by not torturing you further. ;-) Thanks for letting this old geezer woman ramblebabble at you for a moment.

I now return you to your irregularly-scheduled internet experience. Good day!

~ Me

Be your own bright and beautiful, my friends! 

No comments:

Post a Comment